User session printing

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 18:19:16 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 8:02 AM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Tim Waugh (twaugh at redhat.com) said:
>> For a plain network printer, where the printer might not be able to
>> accept the job while it's busy processing others, you might have to
>> queue the job and retry it later.  So if you are doing that as a user
>> process, how should that work when you log out, and when the machine is
>> restarted?
>
> It waits until you log in again.

1) What if I've hopped networks since then and the print job that was
que'd was on a printer that was only visible on the original network?
Answering my own questions: test the ipaddress and continue to wait if
its not available

2) What if I've hopped networks and the old network and the new
network have a printer at the same 192.168.x.x address but are
physically different printers?
I have no idea how to make sure you aren't printing to the wrong
printer that is scoped with a local network address. Do we have any
technical mechanism to prevent this from happening for que'd jobs that
automatically try to start on re-login for personal computing that are
anticipated to hop networks ?

-jef