root password considered harmful, and other security policies. (was Re: Torvalds:requiring root password for mundane things is moronic

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Mar 9 06:39:09 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 15:37 +0100, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Tim Waugh <twaugh at redhat.com> wrote:
> >>    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Privilege_escalation_policy
> >
> > ...except that the primary author of that document told me this month
> > that it is only a draft and can be ignored¹.
>
> It was actually approved by FESCo about two years ago:
>
> Given my area of interest I probably should have known the status by
> heart, I'm afraid I didn't.

Yeah, sorry about that, Tim. Given the amount of hard liquor consumption
required by QA, it's never a good idea to rely on my memory.

History of that page shows that it is, indeed, a live policy, and went
out of draft on 16 Feb 2010. I somehow contrived to entirely forget
about that.

Still, it's a policy, and policies can be changed if we want to change
them. I have no strong attachment to the specifics of the current
policy, if my opinion counts for anything. Please do propose
improvements where appropriate.

Now, what did I come in here for? And where did I put my socks?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey