DHCPv6 *still* broken for F17 alpha

Paul Wouters pwouters at redhat.com
Fri Mar 16 00:49:23 UTC 2012

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012, Dan Williams wrote:

> The current connectivity checking code is built-but-inactive in F17, you
> can enable it by adding these entries
> to /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf:
>
> [connectivity]
> uri=http://<url>
> interval=120
>
> the URL is expected to return one or both of:
>
> 1) an HTTP header named "X-NetworkManager-Status" with the value of
> "online"
> 2) an document body consisting only of the text "NetworkManager is
> online" (can be customized by an option in the config file)
>
> This method lets NM (in the future) detect captive portals and will

Note that such a scheme has already been setup for other software at:

http://fedoraproject.org/static/hotspot.txt

It returns "OK" and is guaranteed never to do any redirects, so you can
detect hotspots. dnssec-triggerd will use this but we hope this
functionality will go into NM itself, so that NM can actually run
dnssec-trigger-control commands directly, and incorporate all the gui
elements from dnssec-trigger-panel.

to understand my babbling, yum install dnssec-trigger, start
dnssec-trigger-panel, see "probe", "probe results" and "hotspot mode"

I am looking forward to the day that only dnssec-triggerd (or its
incorporation into NM) will touch /etc/resolv.conf

Paul