does /etc/sysctl.d/ really obeyed and does really override /etc/sysctl.conf

Muayyad AlSadi alsadi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 14:13:31 UTC 2012

> As I understand it, Muayyad has different problem. Right now, the
> /etc/sysctl.conf we ship is not empty. It has several values set, one of
> them is sysrq=0 he used in his example. No one set this is value, it's just
> default value and yet, no package can change it by placing its file in
> /etc/sysctl.d This would work only if sysctl.conf is empty and all default
> configuration is moved to /etc/sysctl.d/00-systemdefault.conf

yes exactly this is the case,
we have sysrq=0 in /etc/sysctl.conf

>> If a package places a sysctl file in /etc/sysctl.d/ then you can
>> override it with /etc/sysctl.conf, hence everything is as it should, no?
>> This whole logic is designed so that the admin's configuration always
>> takes precedence over vendor configuration. Which is the right thing to
>> do.

the admin can have higher number like 99-local.conf
or move every thing in /etc/sysctl.conf to /etc/sysctl.d/00-defaults.conf
and have a single line in /etc/sysctl.conf saying
# you can override /etc/sysctl.d/*.conf here possible values and their
defaults are found in /etc/sysctl.d/00-defaults.conf