Summary & minutes for today's FESCo meeting (2012-03-19)

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Mar 20 15:16:38 UTC 2012

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 08:24:09 +0100
Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:

> Josh Boyer wrote on 20.03.2012 02:26:
> > On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Jon Ciesla <limburgher at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> * #830 F18 Feature: ARM as Primary Arch --
> >>  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FedoraARM  (limburgher,
> >>  18:44:13)
> >>  * LINK:
> >>    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Machine_Resources_For_Package_Maintainers
> >>    (nirik, 18:45:42)
> >>  * AGREED: ask qa, rel-eng, kernel and infra teams to provide
> >> feedback on the proposal. Ask fesco members to come up with
> >> critera that they would want to add and revisit next week.
> >> (+8,-:0,0:0)  (limburgher, 19:09:50)
> >
> > It's fairly disappointing this was discussed during this meeting
> > without being on the agenda that was sent out.  This is a rather
> > large item that needs a lot of discussion among the various groups
> > in Fedora, and I'm sure that I'm not the only person that wasn't
> > aware it was even going to be in the meeting today.  (Even ignoring
> > the fact that the agenda was sent without a proper Subject and
> > easily skipped.)

I really don't think it's that big a deal. It's only a "get the ball
rolling" and have some high level discussion. I'm sure there's going to
be a lot more before any decision is made and lots of feedback from
lots of parts of Fedora. This affects lots of us.

> +1
>
> From my point of view the root of the problem is: Crucial information
> is spread over way to many places which makes it hard to stay on top.
> If you want to be aware of what happens in Fedora land, that you
> afaics have to keep an eye on
>
> - this list and at least fab-list
> - parts of the wiki, which is really hard (for example there is afaics
> no easy way to just follow the pages that are used to track new
> Features )
> - the talk pages to those wiki pages (see yesterdays discussion about
> the proposed kernel-module, where I missed to look there)
> - the tickets in trac (like the one for Fesco meetings)
> - and ideally IRC and some more lists
>
> I have no real idea how to fix this, but I tend to say we need to way
> better make sure that important information and discussion get on this
> list in a easy consumable way(¹), as that's the only place where
> everybody looks. Sure, that can lead to a heated discussion, but then
> let's deal with it.

Yeah, I don't know of a great way to fix that either.
Information is spread out because it makes sense usually to be in the
place it is.

I think for the mailing list at least we could try and have someone
'summarize' discussions that go for 50 posts or something. Might help
those who can't read all the discussion.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Engineering/FY13_Plan#Mailing_List_Improvement_Application
may well help out someday. ;)

> CU
>  knurd
>
> (¹) it for example always annoys me a little bit that there are no
> direct links to the trac tickets in which FESCo tracks the issues it
> wants to discuss in a meeting -- I know how to find them and it's just
> one or two additional clicks, but those are a little bit annoying

Is: https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/report/9 not what you are looking
for?

kevin