RFC: Primary architecture promotion requirements

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 16:46:20 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 05:37:10PM +0100, drago01 wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Brendan Conoboy <blc at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On 03/20/2012 09:21 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> >>
> >> That said, I considera cross-building environment for secondary arch to
> >> be inevitable, which would at least help for the class of issues, I am
> >> referring to above.
> >

> > I'm a big fan of cross compilation, but introducing it into Fedora in order
> > to support ARM seems unlikely to succeed for too many reasons to go into.
>
> The reasons are? ....

We use cross-compilation right now for mingw-* packages (for Windows).
However you cannot use cross-compilation to create a foo-*.armv7hl.rpm
package.  That's because our entire toolchain, from RPM through Koji,
simply does not understand cross-compilation properly.

Solvable, but undoubtedly a ton of work for everyone.

Rich.