RFC: Primary architecture promotion requirements

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Mar 20 17:08:20 UTC 2012

Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> Looking at last gcc build times (not unusual, though I really remember
> arm taking much longer than that, e.g. 4.7.0-0.11.fc17 took almost 17
> hours on both arm architectures), from
> http://*koji.fedoraproject.org/packages/gcc/4.7.0/0.20.fc17/data/logs/*/state.log :
> i686            4h18m
> x86_64          1h25m
> ppc             4h12m
> ppc64           4h16m
> s390            6h27m
> s390x           6h04m
> armv5tel        26h20m
> armv7hl         24h17m
>
> So even speeding this up twice means it is still 2x slower than the
> slowest other secondary architecture.

Ouch!!!

That shows that ARM should be the LAST architecture we consider for primary
status rather than the first. (That said, I don't think it makes sense to
make PPC primary again or to make S/390 primary. They don't have anywhere
near the market share. But IMHO ARM doesn't have the market share either.)

        Kevin Kofler