RFC: Primary architecture promotion requirements

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Mar 20 17:54:07 UTC 2012

Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Kevin, you don't know what you are talking about. Every cell phone has
> an ARM cpu in it. Smart phone or otherwise. Almost every HDTV has an ARM
> cpu in it. Almost every tablet has an ARM cpu in it.

Several of those are not suitable devices to run a general purpose GNU/Linux
distribution on, and even for those which are, why would they be our primary
target?

> What do people buy these days? Phones, tablets, and TVs. Not desktop
> computers.

Citation needed. Desktop/notebook computers aren't going to go away any time
soon.

> Hell, ARM is even building server boxes now

But even those servers are not fast enough to complete package builds in a
reasonable time.

> (this is probably where Red Hat's interest is in).

As far as I know, this proposal is driven by community people, not Red Hat
people.

> I'll enjoy calling up these emails 2 years from now when you're
> complaining that Fedora isn't ready for ARM (if we don't start now).

We're starting now, that's what the secondary architecture is for. There's
no need for ARM to be a primary architecture for Fedora to be "ready" for
it.

(And I don't see myself using an ARM as my primary machine in 2 years. It's
more likely that I'll still be using the same machines I use now, I don't
replace my hardware that often, and even this old Pentium 4 is faster than a
"fast" ARM machine.)

        Kevin Kofler