RFC: Primary architecture promotion requirements

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Mar 20 17:58:20 UTC 2012

drago01 wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Brendan Conoboy <blc at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 03/20/2012 09:50 AM, drago01 wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't know about the details there but that does not sound like
>>> unfixable to be.
>>> I'd even say that fixing that is a prerequisite to allow secondary
>>> archs that run on "slow" hardware to become primary.
>>

>> Please, please, no.  Cross compilation for Fedora cannot and will not
>> ever get a secondary arch to primary.  We're talking man-decades of
>> engineering time to solve all the problems.  Decades.
>
> Sorry I am not buying that.

I think you're underestimating the problems. RPM is not designed for cross-
compilation, at all. Not all upstream build systems support it, either. And
even where the build system supports it in principle, the individual
upstream package might be doing something which actually makes it fail.
While I'm not sure it would require decades, I also doubt it will be a
workable solution in the short term.

I think the current secondary architecture setup is the much better
solution, it lets ARM builders complete their builds at their own pace
without slowing down everyone.

        Kevin Kofler