RFC: Primary architecture promotion requirements

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Mar 20 18:50:40 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, Brendan Conoboy <blc at redhat.com> said:
> Indeed, targeting mobile devices on day 1 is beyond the scope of the
> proposal.  The first step is the eat-our-own-dogfood target, which is
> self-hosting ARM servers.  Mobile devices are a natural direction for
> Fedora ARM, of course, but as with every new direction there are a
> different set of challenges to be worked through.  For now we're just
> talking about the core OS.

Okay, but how many ARM servers are in widespread use?  For the resources
required as a primary arch, there should be a large expected user base.
The first sentence of the detailed description on the feature page is
"ARM processors are the most popular CPUs in the world." but that is
entirely irrelevant if you aren't targeting a significant number of
those CPUs.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>