ARM as a primary architecture

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Mar 22 03:23:29 UTC 2012

Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> Hypothetically speaking, if presented with an ARM system that builds
> packages, on average, 3x faster than x86, will you advocate that x86 be
> dropped to secondary and ARM be PA exclusively?

Not if most computers (which to me means desktops, notebooks, maybe
netbooks, but most definitely not smartphones) are still x86.

We didn't make Cray or S/390 our primary architecture either, in the days
where the fastest supercomputers weren't x86 clusters yet. ;-)

If we really do get to a point where x86 is dead and everything is ARM (and
hopefully by then we'll also have ARM builders at least as fast as the x86
ones!), that will be the point where I will indeed advocate that x86 be
dropped to secondary and ARM be the exclusive primary arch (even though it'd
hurt my personal usage because I'm not the type who replaces his computer
every year). But right now we're very far from that.

> Sure it's hypothetical, but if that one variable changes, how does your
> position change?

Well, of course, in that case, ARM being added as an additional primary
architecture would be at least acceptable. (It doesn't affect the question
of whether it'd be USEFUL though. See also the previous paragraphs.)

        Kevin Kofler