ARM as a primary architecture

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 11:26:55 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 03/22/2012 01:38 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>
>> (but the "multi-core" ARM setups actually present themselves as a
>> multi-computer cluster, which is not supported by "make -j", not as
>> a multi-CPU computer)
>
> FWIW, I'm pretty sure this is not the case for the ARM computers
> on the way now: they are multi-core multi-threaded.

That is correct, I presume he's referring to the big.LITTLE
architecture which runs 8 cores, 4 low power low speed, 4 high power
high speed. At the moment for the initial implementation they are
suspending / resuming to switch between the pair but in the future
they plan to be able to run all 8 at once.

Peter