ARM as a primary architecture

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 20:21:19 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:08 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> A kindle (unless you mean the kindle fire tablet) is an ereader which
>> aligns exactly with what I have said.
>
> I think you overestimate the need/dependency people have for desktop/laptop computers.

You underestimate it ;)
Lets look at the windows market ... everyone and his dog has MS Office
and thus who can't afford it  do pirate it.
This kind of does not fit in the "consumers just use facebook and
gmail" ... type of thinking.

>>> In the whole world? You're sure about that? I'm not.
>>
>> It might not be the case in some regions but overall yes.
>
> Speculation. Since you took the rope and claim most people who buy smart phones do have laptops, you're invited to provide a reference.

Unfortunately I am not aware of any such studies ... the opposite
can't be proven either. I have yet to met a person that 1) does not
own any kind of PC but does own a smartphone ...
Might be different in some areas of the world but I doubt those are
the majority.

> Are you aware that the number of middle class Chinese equals the entire U.S. population? That it's predicted to be ~700 million by 2020? Have you tried using two-byte languages on computers with a keyboard? It sucks.

It does not matter if you want to write something longer then a mail,
unless dictating text works reliably you have to use a (real)
keyboard.
Speaking of the US ... do you know that outside of the US there isn't
that huge "post pc" hype going on?

>>> I see this as 2-4 years for the consumer desktop upgrade market's meaningful existence. 4-6 years for laptops. People use them less and less already, and will upgrade them less frequently. And at the point where what they want to do on mobile no longer requires them to go to laptop? Why have one?
>>
>> Again creating content. Anything that requires more then typing a few sentences.
>
> iPads have had wireless keyboard for some time. This whole email can be done just as quickly on an iPad as a desktop computer. I don't have a nice 24" screen, only because iPads don't yet have Thunderbolt. They will.

Sure you can but this is uncomfortable ... the devices in question
(tablets) are simply not suited for this kind of usage.

>>> My customers are desktop publishing. It's a small market.
>>
>> Yes but it is just one of the "content creating" markets.
>
> All of content creation is a small marke next to consumer markets. It's always been this way.

You are still claiming that consumers as in "home users" aren't
interested in creating content ... citation?

>> Again reading is content consumption which makes sense on ereaders
>> (and maybe tablets to an extent) but actually writing the books? No.
>>
>> My point is if you are only consuming content you might be fine with
>> just a tablet but as soon as you want to create content it is no
>> longer fine.
>> Each tool has its uses.
>
> The overwhelming bulk of the market is consumption. Not creation. And the growth is in the former, not the latter.

They are tied together. More consumers == more demand for content ==
bigger creation marked.