compat-gcc-32

Dave Close dave at compata.com
Mon Mar 26 02:37:40 UTC 2012

I asked:
>How is it possible that Fedora 16 includes package
>compat-gcc-32-3.2.3-debuginfo.i686.rpm but does not appear to include
>the underlying compat-gcc-32-3.2.3.i686.rpm? To what does the debuginfo
>package pertain (it says, "This package provides debug information for
>package compat-gcc-32.")? Should I be looking somewhere other than the
>Fedora repositories to find it?

Jakub Jelinek answered:
>compat-gcc-32 is the name of the src.rpm, compat-libstdc++* is the
>package it generates.

Ok, thanks. But I still don't see the value of debug information for a
package that doesn't exist.

F16 includes debuginfo packages for compat-gcc-34 and compat-gcc-296
as well as compat-gcc-32. But it actually includes a compat-gcc-34
package, just not the other two.

With gcc, compat-gcc-32-debuginfo, and libstdc++-33 installed, there
must be some trick to actually making use of version 3.2 of gcc. But
when I try "gcc -V 3.2", I'm told, "gcc: error: 3.2: No such file or
directory" and "gcc: error: unrecognized option '-V'". What's the trick
to making use of this facility? Or is there no value to having the
compat packages? Is there a page somewhere that describes how to use
these compatibility packages?
--
Dave Close, Compata, Irvine CA      "The cost of silicon chips has been
dave at compata.com, +1 714 434 7359    steady at about $1bn per acre for