httpd 2.4 is coming, RFC on module packaging draft

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Tue Mar 27 03:16:47 UTC 2012

On 03/27/2012 03:54 AM, Ken Dreyer wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn
> <dennisml at conversis.de> wrote:
>> I disagree. Since this is a major update that gets introduced together with
>> a new Fedora version this opportunity should be used to make switches like
>> these.
>
> In principle I agree with what you're saying, but this is still going
> to require changing lots of packages, and it should be properly scoped
> on the httpd 2.4 feature page.

All the more reason for making this change now with a major version change
and early in the F18 release cycle rather than being forced to go through
this in a later supposedly minor update.

> Here's what I plan to use in Cacti.
>
> <Directory /usr/share/cacti/>
>   <IfVersion > 2.2>
>     Require host localhost
>   </IfVersion>
>   <IfVersion <= 2.2>
>     Order deny,allow
>     Deny from all
>     Allow from localhost
>   </IfVersion>
> </Directory>

I don't think making this a runtime configuration is a good idea. Most
people only run either 2.2 or 2.4 but not both so having this in their
config is really unnecessary and makes things more complicated then it
needs to be.
Why not make this distinction in the spec file and include one of two
configuration files in the rpm depending on the release version? That way
F18+ users get a clean config for 2.4 and older version get a clean config
for 2.2.

Regards,
  Dennis