Python i686 vs x86_64 -- for testing a python library

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 16:13:52 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Use a chroot or an i686 vm.  Or possibly just do rpmdev-extract on the i686
>> version and run it directly.
>
> I've been toying with a chroot via mock, but was awkward for a number
> of reasons. I've used rpmdev-extract and installed just the binary as
> /usr/bin/python2.6-i686

Yeah, it's a little awkward since it's not really made for that
purpose but it does work well, a la:

mock --init
mock --install <packages>
mock --shell

Of course you need to set a default release and arch to use or just
use the "-r fedora-<release>-<arch>" option.

I frequently use this method to run rpmlint on installed packages
without having to pollute my main system.

Richard