Booting Fedora from LVM with grub2

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 07:15:10 UTC 2012

On Mar 29, 2012 8:00 AM, "Paul Howarth" <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 22:16:25 +0200
> Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> > maybe the tone was minimal rude because i do absolutely
> > not understand why anyone can have the idea "hey let us
> > remove the whole custom partitioning and replace with
> > kickstart only" to solve problems with it
>
> That's not what I understood from Adam's description, which was:
>
> > It's worth bearing in mind there's a giant anaconda UI rewrite still
> > pending, which entirely redesigns the storage configuration GUI. One
> > of the other major changes is that it makes all installations
> > kickstart-driven. The GUI will just produce a kickstart file, which
> > anaconda will then process to perform the actual install.
>
> Now my understanding of that doesn't include anything about removing
> custom partitioning. It's all about splitting up the functionality of
> anaconda into two distinct parts - the GUI configuration part, which I
> would expect still to contain custom partitioning, and a back-end that
> implements the configuration, where the configuration is passed to it
> in the form of a kickstart file (either the output of the GUI part, or
> a kickstart file prepared earlier by the user).
>
> My understanding is based entirely on Adam's description since I'm not
> involved in anaconda development, but it strikes me as being a good
> thing as it would split one large process into two, presumably smaller
> ones, which would help solve the problem of running anaconda on
> machines with less memory.

That's my understanding as well so it's not removing functionality but
rather the underlying mechanism and implementation of them. This is good
because it will allow a consistent outcome whether using the GUI, a
kickstart file or something else like media and appliance creator and
likely considerable simplification of the code too.

Peter