Proposed F18 feature: MiniDebugInfo

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon May 7 13:07:20 UTC 2012

I just wrote a new Feature proposal for shipping minimal debug info by
default:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MiniDebugInfo

The feature page lists some of the background and statistics. It also
lists some options in how to implement this, which all have various
different pros and cons. I'd like to hear what peoples opinions on these
are.

My personal opinion is that we should go with compressed data, in the
original files without the line number information. This means we use
minimal space (i.e. an installation increase by only 0.5%) while being
completely transparent to users. It does however make the normal
packages larger in a non-optional way which some people disagree with.