Rolling release model philosophy (was Re: Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID)))

Nikos Roussos comzeradd at fedoraproject.org
Sat Nov 3 10:35:08 UTC 2012

> > I disagree with that. Fedora releases had some small regression
> > introduced via updates from time but is is *very* usable as a stable
> > operating system.
>
> I disagree. It's usable by the kind of people who use Fedora. Who like
> shiny cutting-edge stuff and don't mind dealing with wonkiness
> constantly.

I mind. So do many Fedora users and contributors, who want a shiny
*stable* leading edge (not bleeding edge) linux distribution.

> I wouldn't dream of putting any regular person on a Fedora
> install, quite frankly. It's easy to get into a perspective bubble where
> Fedora looks normal, but it isn't. It is not a stable general-purpose
> operating system and it's absurd to represent it as such.

I understand that "regular users" are not Fedora's main target, but it
is a general-purpose operating system in the sense that it can be used
by people who want to have a stable working environment with all the
latest things from the Open Source world.

In that sense, and from my point of view, if we had to rethink our
release model and dedicate time and energy on a new approach, it would
make more sense to have an extended support release (providing only
security updates after 13 months) which is vital for the enterprise
desktop market. Of course this is not in contradiction with having a
rolling release model alongside, but I didn't know if we have enough
human capacity to do them both.