Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 23:39:58 UTC 2012

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 23:00:42 +0000
Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 03:48:31PM -0700, Tim Flink wrote:
> > On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 20:14:05 +0000
> > Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> > > "we" are? I see approximately nobody offering assistance in that
> > > respect.
> >
> > If it would make you feel better, I can stop building test images,
> > updating test repos, testing fedup, writing documentation, answering
> > questions in bugzilla as best I can and attempting to help
> > coordinate. I'm obviously not helping in the least and it sounds
> > like my time would be better spent elsewhere. It'd certainly take
> > things off my plate and then you can do the work.
>
> Oh man I'm sorry - I meant other than you and Will, and I'm hugely
> sorry that it sounded like I didn't think you were being useful here.
> I really really don't want to make it seem like I don't appreciate
> all of that. But we do have many people who are nominally active in
> writing code who are doing absolutely nothing here.

That may be true but that isn't true of everyone. I understand your
frustration, I just think it was directed at the wrong person who
happened to say "we". Adam isn't doing much with fedup at the moment but
I'm not doing much anaconda testing at the moment, either and it's not
a coincidence.

I'm of the opinion that more widespread testing of fedup isn't really
going to help right now until a couple of bugs are fixed. I'm not
blaming anyone; we are where we are and the blame game is counter
productive right now. I just don't see the point in creating more noise
than we need to at the moment.

When it's ready, I'm certain that plenty of QA (and not-always-qa) folks
will be testing fedup.

> > Asserting that we aren't helping in any way is incredibly insulting
> > and in my opinion, rather naive. I realize that I don't write code
> > that gets shipped with Fedora and I realize that through some eyes,
> > that's what happens when you have no talent or useful skills. If
> > that's what you want to think, go for it; you wouldn't be the first
> > person to think so and I sincerely doubt that you'd be the last.
>
> Again, my wholehearted apologies. That wasn't my intention.

No worries. We're all in this boat together, wherever it ends up. I
think that I'm with most people here in hoping that the boat ends up
at a good release without more slipping :)

Tim