Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Nov 9 16:43:24 UTC 2012

On 11/08/2012 11:40 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> Pointing out how the installer currently works does not change my
> opinion on the fact that if an installer ( any installer ) cannot run on
> his own bits isolated from the package set he is about install is a
> design flaw and is something that should be corrected ( from my pov ).

I think you're talking about booting an F17 kernel, using an F17 content
initrd and stage2 (F17 version dracut, systemd, udev, polkit, dbus,
parted, lvm, ext/btrfs/xfs tools, glibc, yum, rpm, selinux, grub,
etc...) and just point it at a newer repository of packages.

While that has some obvious issues, like new hardware doesn't work with
old kernel/syslinux/grub/udev/etc..., there are further issues as some
configuration has to happen within the installed system, which means
knowing how things like firewall config, network config, mount options,
root auth configuration, selinux, bootloader config and so on.

So no, it's not really possible to isolate the installer environment
such that you can plug and play with different package sets and expect
things to work.

If you think this is some kind of design flaw, then knock yourself out
redesigning it.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!