yum upgrade from F17 to F18

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Nov 9 21:23:34 UTC 2012

Am 09.11.2012 22:14, schrieb Kevin Fenzi:
> I think the thing people are missing here is that yum dist upgrades are
> perfectly fine for advanced users who know how to work around problems
> and use the tools, but aren't very good for well, everyone else.

yes and no

one real benefit of the yum upgrade is that you get
the latest updates which are often fixing many bugs
realized AFTER the release

depending on the hardware/software-combination they
may save you while the release version would not
boot at all on your hardware

that said: "officially supported" is the one thing but keep in
mind that it is very important for advanced users to have it working

so whatever features are coming in future releases: keep in mind the
yum-upgrade with a howto for special steps is needed for many users
and setups or you would lose the users at all because they can simply
not reinstall/re-configure 10,20,30,40 fedora instances twice each year
while i am as exmaple did any fedora upgrade since FC3 with YUM on
a lot of setups