yum upgrade from F17 to F18

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Nov 9 21:55:00 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-11-09 at 14:14 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 20:16:50 +0100
> Roberto Ragusa <mail at robertoragusa.it> wrote:
>
> > Serious question: why usrmove is not doable?
> > If you have all the dirs in your path, and move executable files from
> > one place to another, why should this fail?
>
> All your dynamic libraries move? You need selinux relabling?
>
> > I managed to do a 32 bit -> 64 bit transition (you know, the
> > "absolutely unsupported" upgrade) on a system which was running an
> > entire KDE session. My upgrade commands (rpm, yum, bash, everything
> > else) started 32 bit, then were mixed, then ended to be 64 bit.
> > Usrmove appears simpler. Am I missing something?
>
> Would you advise all your friends to do one too? :)
>
> I think the thing people are missing here is that yum dist upgrades are
> perfectly fine for advanced users who know how to work around problems
> and use the tools, but aren't very good for well, everyone else.

> So, please try and think beyond your personal experiences and out to
> all our users? I think having the option of a yum dist-upgrade is
> excellent, but I don't think we should officially support it or ask
> all our users to do it.

I pretty much agree with this, and would go further to say I don't quite
see the use case for such a script. I think the kinds of people who
ought to be doing yum upgrades are probably going to be happier knowing
what each step of the process is going to be, rather than just firing
off a Magic Script. I upgrade all my systems using yum all the time,
following the instructions on the wiki page, and I'm quite happy with
that and would not use a script to do it. But that's just my $0.02 :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey