Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Sat Nov 10 07:38:11 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> On 11/10/2012 01:30 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 2012-11-10 at 00:52 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>>
>>> Adam Williamson wrote:
>

>>> So, since Fedora has existed, Anaconda's memory requirements have
>>> increased
>>> by at least an order of magnitude! How's that NOT "skyrocketing"?
>

>> You're being pretty absurd comparing 2003 requirements to 2012
>> requirements without allowing at all for hardware inflation.
>

> You seem to be missing the increasing amount of aging netbooks, laptops and
> tablets.
>
> Also you seem to be ignoring the fact of Windows XP being about to be
> discontinued, for which at least some users will be looking for a substitute
> OS, when they realize Win 8's HW requirements are too demanding for their HW
> or when they realize Win 8 doesn't meet their personal needs.
>
> Some of them certainly will consider switching to Linux, but will it be
> Fedora? Provided this discussion, my guess is no.
>
> Ralf

Here in Portland, Oregon, "obsolete" computers end up at a recycling /
reuse outfit called FreeGeek. They do in fact rebuild them with Linux,
and IIRC it's Ubuntu.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench: http://znmeb.github.com/Computational-Journalism-Publishers-Workbench/

How the Hell can the lion sleep with all those people singing "A weem
oh way!" at the top of their lungs?