remove polkit from core?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 18:27:52 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-11-10 at 02:33 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Matthew Miller wrote:
> > Apparently the new version of polkit brings in javascript. The js package
> > is 6.5MB. I think anything that uses polkit will depend on it -- can we
> > remove it from core?
>
> Of course, the real question is why the heck PolicyKit needs a Turing-
> complete rule language (which also forced everyone to port their existing
> rules) when the previously-used simple INI-style pkla rule format did the
> job just fine!

So that more complex rules-parsing can be done instead of hardcoded
rules.  For example, when creating a new WiFi network, NetworkManager
could pass along the security options, network details, even the user
that requested creating it.  Administrator-written rules can factor all
those details into the decision whether to allow/deny, which the
existing static rules simply cannot do.

Whether or not JS should be a *hard* dependency of PolicyKit, I don't
know.  But the feature is valuable, so don't dismiss it out-of-hand.

Dan