raising warning flag on firewalld-default feature

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 20:42:20 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 02:53:01PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 09:53:13PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > I really don't understand why a core system component such as firewalld is
> > implemented in Python!
>
> Here, I mostly don't see the reason for it to be running all the time.
> Couldn't it be dbus activated, and then go away when it's not needed? Then,
> it would matter less what it was written in.
>

> And for reducing space use: I think it might also be nice to break python
> 2to3 and idle out of the python-libs package.

Eh....

2to3 is used in code besides the 2to3 command line tool.

idlelib I aven't seen being used but...

These are libraries provided by the main python distribution whether or not
they're frequently used.  If this is something we want to pursuse, perhaps
we really want to look at all of the python stdlib and decide if there's
other things that are not popular and we'd wish to make into subpackages.

This is not a one-time piece of work, however -- there'd be ongoing
maintainance -- for instance, if we broke the 2to3 module into its own
subpackage and then a different python-stdlib module started importing it
we'd have to spot that new inter-dependency and move 2to3 back into the
stdlib.

-Toshio