Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 03:19:57 UTC 2012

On 2012-11-12 12:59, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> said:
>> El Fri, 9 Nov 2012 17:33:05 +0100
>> Matej Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com> escribió:
>> > a) Why installer requires 2-4 times more memory than any other
>> > program running on my computer (and the software you use on it
>> could
>> > be a good example of SOHO server)?
>>
>> My email client uses around 2gb of ram firefox usually is using
>> between
>> 512Mb and 1Gb  your statement for me is false.
>
> Read the message, especially "SOHO server".  Most people are not
> running
> email clients and Firefox on servers.

That doesn't make it a sensible argument or target. My IRC proxy VM
sits there using about 20MB of RAM. That's a perfectly useful
installation of Fedora. So should our target be to fit our sophisticated
graphical installer in 20MB of RAM, something it hasn't managed for at
least a decade? Really?

This thread continues to get more absurd. Everyone agrees it would be
good to make the installer as efficient as possible. It is open source
code. Check it out from git and go to work. Patches to
anaconda-devel-list. The anaconda team is aware that memory usage could
be optimized; however, you may have noticed they're a _tad_ busy with
other things too. Is there anything more to say in this thread? Given
that no silly usage / historical comparisons anyone can make are going
to magically result in a halving of the RAM use of the installer?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey