[@core] working definition for the minimal package set

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 13 04:24:40 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 08:07:39PM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> Yeah, that's a thing that probably could be done.  Bug again I'd
> like some input from people who have made the switch to these
> packages being mandatory.

Well, I think it's just that the policy for a long time that since core
isn't visible, default or optional are pointless. Specifically:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_and_edit_comps.xml_for_package_groups#Core

says (right now, but maybe not for long):

  Core is not visible, so adding 'default' or 'optional' packages to it isn't
  needed. Boot loaders are listed as 'default' in the group so that they're
  pulled in by compose tools.

That last part isn't even right. There's not too many packages in core, so I
don't think it'll be that difficult of an excercise to find the reasoning
for each.