[@core] working definition for the minimal package set

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 22:20:43 UTC 2012

Matthew Miller (mattdm at fedoraproject.org) said:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 04:07:16PM -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> > What makes rootfiles essential?  That's just overriding the defaults
> > from /etc/skel with annoying aliases.
>
> I think it should be at least "default" instead of mandatory.

Consistency of environment. Root's environment should always be
the same no matter how you install.

> > Also, I'd include ethtool, since you need it to configure NICs (although
> > it may be pulled in as a dep).  IIRC it got dropped from a default
> > install for one release (and that was annoying for me anyway).
>
> Seems like a possible candidate to have default but not mandatory in core.
> Nothing pulls it in.

It's in standard, not core.

> > > - Configure additional partitions for the simple case
> > >       e2fsprogs
> > >       parted
> > LVM?  I know it is a can of worms, but it has been the default for a
> > long time now.
>
> Automatically added by anaconda when the system has LVM.

If we want to rely on anaconda to add the filesystem tools for whatever
FS you install, we could drop e2fsprogs. But we'd still want parted.
(And I think leaving e2fsprogs in the minimal install likely makes sense
anyway.)

Bill