[@core] working definition for the minimal package set

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 14 14:36:17 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 03:24:04PM +0100, Thomas Bendler wrote:
> Ok, but what is the intent? The first mail was a questioning what should be
> the scope of core and I didn't see a discussion answering this question. I

That's *this* discussion. :)

> think we should first define the mission statement and then discuss the
> technical details. Or is it only unclear to me what the intent is?

I kind of skipped past the mission statement because no one commented on the
draft one I made, which is:

  The Fedora Minimal Core SIG ensures that the Fedora minimal package set is
  an intentionally curated selection rather than an ad hoc accretion of
  packages.

to the first of the stated goals, which is: "Choose a working definition for
"minimal" (kernel + systemd only vs enough to get to yum install over the
net vs basic traditional unix system)".

Based on the conversation so far, I think the target is:

  - mandatory install of everything up to yum install from the network
  - default install of a small set of packages necessary for a consistent
    Fedora experience including minimal admin tools