remove polkit from core?

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Wed Nov 14 17:00:04 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 11:53:16PM -0600, Ian Pilcher wrote:
>> Wait.  So the .pkla file I wrote to allow my run virt-manager as my
>> normal user is going to stop working, and I'm going to have to write the
>> replacement in JavaScript?
>
> This particular case is the primary one I've seen for people actually
> writing their own policy. I think maybe we should make a Unix group for it
> and make that the default. (But I don't think that solves the problem.)

If David is unwilling to just resurrect the old .pkla parser, one
option for "solving" the problem might be writing a piece of code that
would provide compatibility with the .pkla files.

This could be (the only) JS config snippet parsing the files directly
if the JS environment allowed file system access, or alternatively a
generator run before starting polkit to generate a large JS config
representing the contents of .pkla files.

Anyone interested in implementing it?
    Mirek