Setting the default firewall configuration (was Re: Attention, dependency fighters)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Nov 15 18:10:43 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-11-15 at 19:02 +0100, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> > Am 15.11.2012 18:06, schrieb Adam Williamson:
> >> Right. I hate to say it, but Harald is correct here: AFAIK, all those
> >> and other firewall configuration mechanisms were ultimately just
> >> UI/abstraction layers wrapped around iptables. They wrote iptables
> >> rules. firewalld is very different.
>
> (Side-reply to Adam:) I can't see the difference; /sbin/iptables still
> works if you have firewalld running.

Sure, but the background here was the 'replace vs. augment' question -
is firewalld actually planned to replace iptables in the long run, or
are we committed to maintaining iptables as an alternative mechanism? It
sounds like harald would be happy if the latter is the case.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey