Backporting LLVM 3.1 for Fedora 17

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Fri Nov 16 15:32:21 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 09:49:19AM -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> That said, llvm consumers are difficult to keep in sync with llvm
> anyway.  Many llvm projects seem like they pick a point release to build
> against and then never get updated when the ABI changes.  If we do this
> we might want to start by building compat-llvm30 for the libraries and
> migrating the consumers independently afterwards.  It'd be fine if that
> compat package only lived for the one release that needs it (ie no
> compat-llvm30 in F18 or later, apps that aren't ported get
> deadpackaged), but at least that way we could avoid breaking llvm apps
> in F17 updates that worked in F17 gold.

I guess for that it doesn't help that only one of the 4 llvm-libs
shared libraries (libLLVM-3.*.so) has the version in its name, the other
3 clearly dependent on that one don't, eventhough I very much doubt they
are anywhere close to be ABI compatible.
Not to mention that somebody should tell the LLVM folks about the ld -soname
option, none of those 4 have DT_SONAME.

	Jakub