prefered way of configuring X11 keyboard layouts in F18

Jan Včelák jvcelak at redhat.com
Fri Nov 30 12:33:49 UTC 2012

Hello list,

what is the expected way of handling X11 keyboard layouts in Fedora 18?

I don't use xorg.conf, the configuration was autodetected from
/etc/sysconfig/keyboard (probably) till F17 and it worked just fine. After
upgrading to F18 using yum method, my keyboard layout stopped working.

Should the X11 server (or login managers) autodetect the layout from new
config files? Or is 'localectl set-x11-keymap' the only supported way now?

If 'localectl' is the only supported way, we should add this information to
"Upgrading Fedora using yum" instructions on the wiki. The same with old
kernel options. (I do not know how is this handled in the other upgrade
methods.)

If the old configuration files are supposed to work, what is the responsible
component I should file bug on?

Jan