Samba and Samba4 changes for F18/rawhide

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Oct 2 19:35:04 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-09-26 at 18:18 +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wanted to let you know that the samba package in f18 and rawhide has been
> updated to version 4.0.0rc1. The samba4 package will retire in these distro
> versions.

Just a note on this in case anyone's seeing problems: right now, the
'samba4' package has been blocked but the 'samba' update has not been
pushed stable, so there are dependency problems in the f18 stable repo.
I've asked rel-eng to push the samba update stable ASAP.

I had a look to see if there will be any dependency problems as a result
of this but I can't see any, samba 4.x seems to provide all the API that
samba 3.x provided plus some more, so nothing ought to break,
fortunately. Once the update is pushed stable everything should be OK.

(Also, the versioning on the samba package is incorrect, I have sent the
samba maintainers a link to the relevant sections of the versioning
policy).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey