Any progress in Software Center in Fedora effort?

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Fri Oct 5 15:19:00 UTC 2012

Hi,
the possibility of Software Center in Fedora has already been discussed
several times, last time a few month ago.
I read an article about a successful Google Summer of Code project [1]
whose goal was to make Software Center a distribution independent
program using PackageKit.
Matthias even made an Ubuntu-independent infrastructure for AppStream
(additional data about packages/apps).
I wonder if there are still any efforts to get it to Fedora and what it
would require from our infrastructure.

If I understand it correctly, there are currently three options:
1) Software Center based on PackageKit by Matthias
2) Light Software Center - a new app based on PackageKit from the
beginning
3) Apper already supports AppStream [2]

I'm asking because I hear from many (not only) beginners that they would
appreciate something like Ubuntu Software Center in Fedora. I guess it's
one of the main reasons why many users rather go for Ubuntu than Fedora.

Jiri

[1] http://blog.tenstral.net/2012/08/gsoc-appstream-final-report.html
[2] http://blog.tenstral.net/2012/08/appstream-for-apper.html