Any progress in Software Center in Fedora effort?

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 21:18:33 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 11:09 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 October 2012 14:39, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:49 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> [...] There needs to be web design, web
>>> application coding, processes for getting applications in and
>>> approved, servers and disk space for this. Those are the hardest part
>>> and it is a blocker because if no one is around to keep a service
>>> going and growing it quickly becomes run by cargo cult.
>>
>> No one but Tim asked for a web based solution. We don't need an
>> application submission process either, just present the applications
>> we have in a more usable manner (i.e applications not packages).
>> The code for a native application support is mostly there. People that
>> want to maintain this code are also present.
>> What is missing is generating the required metadata (which requires
>> support from the infrastructure team).
>
> Dude..

> metadata has to be served from something.

I did not claim otherwise.

>  It has to be updated  from somewhere.. it has to have some sort of way to get to the client.

Yes that's what I was taling about (create it at compose time). It
gets to the client the same way the packages get to the client
(downloaded from the mirrors via HTTP or FTP).

> That is a web application.

No it isn't.

> The software has to be stored somewhere to
> be gotten from.. and that requires disk space, front end servers, and
> other infrastructure.

This is not about a webportal .... just some files on the mirrors in
addition to the existing metadata.

> And applications which go into a store need some way to be sorted and
> viewed by people outside of the application.. tada another web
> application.

No this will be done using a native frontend ... did you even read the
mail you are replying to?

> And yes there will need to be a submission process because the first
> time we end up serving someone who put Oracle DB or someone elses
> software in it.. we in infrastructure will know about it and be told
> to get rid of it immediately plus deal with whatever other legal
> issues involved. Or when MP3 or other Fedora forbidden items show up,
> we in infrastructure will have to deal with the cleanup there too.

You entirely missed the point. So I will try again one more time the
applications == rpms currently in the repo. There is no submission
process other then the usual package review which we always had.

So please take some time to read other peoples mails before replying
and base your answers on that, thanks.