replacing rsyslogd in minimal with journald [was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes]

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Oct 9 16:01:21 UTC 2012

Am 09.10.2012 17:38, schrieb Jóhann B. Guðmundsson:
>>> +1. For example swapping action and name parameters for systemctl
>>> compared to service calls is just annoying.
>> Yes. Again, you're not the first person I've heard this from. Likewise,
>> needing to fill out the .service extension. Both make a certain logical
>> sense from a design point of view, but they're not putting the user first.
>
> Probably changing this is not doable since you have multiple types of units that can have the same name foo.path
> foo.target foo.service foo.timer etc.

why should this be a problem?
if no extensions is given assume .service

here i would even go so far to say if ONLY ONE param is given without
extension assume all available ones which would even solve the problem
"systemctl stop anything.service" without realize there maybe a
"anything.socket" fire up the service implicit

if i say "systemctl stop cups" i mean stop it
if i say "systemctl stop cups.service" i mean stop it
in both cases i expect cups is no longer running
in none of both cases i mean "cups.socket fire it up again"

> As I have set from the get go it is best for administrator and users alike to forget all they know of the legacy
> sysv init stuff and approach systemd with a fresh mind and as a *new* technology

that is not the point
the point is additional typing work