Use of a package?

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Tue Oct 9 18:51:56 UTC 2012

On 10/09/2012 11:07 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 01:29:04PM -0400, Eric H. Christensen wrote:
>> Well, if I don't know *if* it's being used I certainly can't ask the
>> unknown masses. :) I was just looking at some of the packages I recently
>> adopted and noted that many of them seem to have dead or dying upstream.
>> That isn't to say the software isn't still useful but if folks aren't
>> using them... You get what I'm saying.
>
> Oooh that. Yes, this would be good -- I understand there's work on a new
> "census" program to replace smolt, but I don't know the details.

Each time this is brought up, the arguments are made that it's flawed
data.  Just because a package is installed does not mean that the
package is /used/.  Generally this leads to suggestions about tracking
actual launches or access of files of a package, then privacy arguments,
and then nothing happens.

--
Help me fight child abuse: http://tinyurl.com/jlkcourage

- jlk