iSuggestion] Initscript system independen rpm scriptlets macros

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Oct 10 09:06:06 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 01:02:54AM +0200, Jochen Schmitt wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> unfortunately, I have missed the discussion of the introduction of the
> new systemd rpm macros as a new packaging gueidlines.
>
> From my point of view this new set of macros has two disadvantages:
>
> 1. The macros are depending on systemd
>
> 2. The most commont restart case has a more
>    complicate name then the case without the
>    restart of the service.

My meta-suggestion is that scriptlets should be minimized and removed
wherever possible.  Instead RPM should have some %-directives such as:

  %service foo --enabled-by-default

RPM should then collect together the full set of instructions across
the whole transaction and perform the necessary steps (defined by the
distribution) at the end.  Performing the steps could include ignoring
%service directives entirely, which would be useful in the non-root
install-to-a-subdirectory case.

Also extend this to other cases where scriptlets are used, eg:

  %user --requires=qemu.qemu

(The vast majority of scriptlets are used simply to run ldconfig, and
rpm should just autodetect this case when a library is installed by
any package in the transaction).

And no, I'm not going to code this just yet ...

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top