replacing rsyslogd in minimal with journald [was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes]

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Wed Oct 10 19:20:28 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Additionally, it _would_ be cool for log monitoring and analysis tools to
> gain journald support, so that users of those tools can take advantage of
> all the features Lennart lists. If we could have some of those in place
> along with the proposed feature, that would be a win.

Along with the ability to retrieve data from the journal, tools should
probably start at the same time to support real message ids. They will
allow us reliable recognition without weird regex matches in human
readable syslog lines, allow catalogization of messages,
documentation, metadata handling, or even localization.

What we have in systemd so far is:
  http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/systemd/sd-messages.h

We also have proper identifiers for devices/hardware in the kernel
logs now. The journal reads them already and connects them to the
current udev supplied data. These identifiers should also be used to
identify a device instead of the unreliable guessing of strings in
human readable syslog messages:
  http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.journal-fields.html

Kay