systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Oct 16 07:47:20 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 02:36:20PM -0400, John.Florian at dart.biz wrote:
> > From: Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com>
> >
> > Jesse Keating (jkeating at j2solutions.net) said:
> > > Well, we do currently have the "minimal" environment, which boils
> > > down to @core + the couple things anaconda forces (authconfig,
> > > system-config-firewall-base, kernel, bootloader).  You can get to
> > > that via kickstart with just:
> > >
> > > %packages
> > > @core
> > > %end
> > >
> > > But it's not close to what some of these people want out of a
> > > "minimal" install.
> >
> > For reference:
> >
> > @core + kernel:
> >  Install  38 Packages (+157 Dependent packages)
> >  Total download size: 128 M
> >  Installed size: 506 M
> >
> > But hey, I just want something smaller!
> >
> > systemd + util-linux + bash + initscripts + passwd + yum:
> >  Install  7 Packages (+132 Dependent packages)
> >  Total download size: 106 M
> >  Installed size: 446 M
> >
> > But hey, I don't need to install packages or want python!
> >
> > systemd+ util-linux + bash + initscripts + passwd:
> >
> > Install  6 Packages (+108 Dependent packages)
> > Total download size: 94 M
> > Installed size: 401 M
>
> Bill, thanks for that excellent report!  It shows me that even if you
> strip away some of the "conveniences", you really don't save that much
> over our normal "minimal" install.  Very enlightening.

If you remove files that are also duplicated on the host (assuption:
host distro + version = guest distro + version) then you can make
things MUCH smaller :-)

$ febootstrap --names bash systemd yum
$ ll -h *
-rw-rw-r--. 1 rjones rjones 4.6M Oct 16 08:44 base.img
-rw-rw-r--. 1 rjones rjones 630K Oct 16 08:44 hostfiles

# To reconstruct the image before boot:
$ febootstrap-supermin-helper -f cpio base.img hostfiles x86_64 kernel.out initrd.out
$ ll -h kernel.out initrd.out
-rw-r--r--. 1 rjones rjones 293M Oct 16 08:46 initrd.out
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 rjones rjones   33 Oct 16 08:46 kernel.out -> /boot/vmlinuz-3.6.1-1.fc18.x86_64

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top