f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID)

David Lehman dlehman at redhat.com
Tue Oct 16 18:22:52 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-16 at 15:29 +0200, Dario Lesca wrote:
> Hi, I have download the last Fedora-18-Beta-TC4 to do some tests
> http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/18-Beta-TC4/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-18-Beta-TC4-x86_64-netinst.iso
>
> How to install it on a empty disk and use LVM (or create a software
> RaID)?
>
> From the new disk manager anaconda panel I did not understand how to
> create a new LVM partition and root and swap volume.

1. Click the + button near the bottom of the screen.
2. Enter '/' for mountpoint and whatever size you want.
3. Hit Confirm or Add or whatever the dialog button is.
4. Select the new mountpoint on the left side of the
   screen.
5. Click the + on the right side of the screen to edit
   the device options.
6. Select your desired device type from the available
   options, which will include LVM.

Repeat for swap. (Hint: enter "swap" as the mountpoint
when adding the device initially)

Various tips:

Both the size and mountpoint entries in the "Add Mountpoint" dialog have
tooltips, so hover the mouse pointer on them if you are in doubt as to
how to specify these things.

If you want the device you are adding to grow to occupy as much space as
is possible, leave the size field blank when adding the device
initially. When editing a defined device, if you want to make it as
large as possible, specify a size greater than the available space. The
installer will grow the device as close to your requested size as
possible. This also works when adding a new device.

Devices are not treated as "growable" once they have been defined, so if
you define one device with a blank size and then try to define another
without adjusting the first one, it will probably fail due to
insufficient free space. This makes sense if you think about it, so
don't file a bug for it.

> Is this features not yet supported or I have lost some HOWTO?

There's a very brief HOWTO above. I am hoping to produce a basic
beginners' guide at some point, but time is scarce.