What are reasonable blockers for making journald the default logger in F19?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Oct 17 15:50:58 UTC 2012

On Wed, 17.10.12 17:07, Benny Amorsen (benny+usenet at amorsen.dk) wrote:

> Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> writes:
>
> > Less critical but important:
>
> A hard link to an easier-to-guess name like logread (used by OpenWRT)?

Instead of introducing new aliases and ambiguities by introducing yet
another name that has no relation to the subsystem otherwise (afterall,
the server-side is called journald, the files are stored in
/var/log/journal/ and have the suffix .journal, and so on) we should
really focus on making it easy to discover the new tool, under its right
name. One way to achieve that should be to provide /var/log/README with
the appropriate hints, since I assume much more people will look for
logs in /var/log like it used to be in most of Linux history rather than
in a tool "logread" that is known by an embedded distro by the name of
OpenWRT...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.