F18 users unable to log in due to cached nsswitch.conf

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Wed Oct 17 16:21:14 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Stef Walter <stefw at redhat.com> wrote:
> In Fedora 17 and 18 we have a problem where remote users are unable to log
> in until the machine has been rebooted. This used to work previously. To fix
> this we probably need to:
>
> Include 'sss' in /etc/nsswitch.conf by default and have the small
> sssd-client package (with just thepam, nss plugins) installed on all but
> minimal Fedora installs.

That's rather far from actually fixing the problem.  Can we get it
fixed _first_?  It seems that we could drop the glibc caching, or by
modify authconfig to instruct the user to reboot after changing
/etc/nsswitch.conf .

I'm not opposed to changing the default nsswitch.conf to avoid that
reboot (well, I think it's ugly to refer to a non-installed module,
but that's an aesthetic, not a principal thing) and to improve the
user experience in the default case, but we do need to have some way
to fix the underlying problem, a better way than just giving up and
conceding that nsswitch.conf can't be edited from now on.
    Mirek