aha! I figured out why journalctl's auto-pager bugs me when git's doesn't (and possible solution)

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Oct 18 17:46:46 UTC 2012

Am 18.10.2012 19:29, schrieb Adam Williamson:
> On Thu, 2012-10-18 at 10:35 +0200, Enrico Scholz wrote:
>> Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> writes:
>>
>>>   - don't auto-page;
>>
>> yes; that's the best solution.  The auto-pager is perhaps the most
>> annoying feature of systemd.  I have no problem in scrolling back some
>> pages in my terminal with shift-pgup, but having a status request block
>> (plain 'systemctl' or 'journalctl' request a status) is just broken.
>
> I don't really look at it that way. Let's see, how to put it...
>
> Okay, so with the old system, I don't recall *ever* doing
> 'cat /var/log/messages'. I always, always either less'ed it or grep'ped
> it. So to me it makes sense for journalctl to page by default

and i am doing "tail -n 500 -f /var/log/messages" or whatever
logfle i want to watch since years because i want to see what
happened before, can scroll up and watch what is going on

the same works for "tail -n 500 -f /var/log/messages | grep whatever"
for me i prcatically NEVER use any pager!

so you see how different workflows are
and that is why the unix-principle is "basic tools and stick them together"
this way yours and mine way to do things are equally supported