What are reasonable blockers for making journald the default logger in F19?

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Thu Oct 18 19:26:51 UTC 2012

Adam Williamson wrote:
> Trying to come up with 'intuitive' names for commands strikes me as a
> spectacularly worthless pursuit. I'm not sure it's possible. Does
> anyone really learn a new system by typing their best guess as to
> what its commands and parameters might be into a console?!

Not exactly learn a new system, but I do sometimes guess at the
beginning of a command. I might for example type "rpm<Tab><Tab>" to see
if there is an RPM-related command that looks like it might do what I
want, or "vg<Tab><Tab>" to get a list of commands related to LVM volume
groups.

What's more important, though, is that it's much easier to remember a
command that's named after what it does. When I want to read a log it's
easier to remember a command that sounds like "log reader" than one that
sounds like "journal controller". I might accept that the log is now
called a journal instead for unknown reasons, but even then the
"controller" part is quite confusing. "Controller" is a good word for a
program that starts, stops and reconfigures something, not for a program
that reads logs.

But perhaps "ctl" is short for "cutler" and alludes to Journalctl's
ability to slice up logs in several different ways? In that case the name
would be easier to remember if "cutler" were spelled out.

Björn Persson