How do I find the maintainers of a package ?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 21:50:46 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-23 at 19:39 +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when maintaining/configuring my systems I occasionally make changes that I think
> would be generally useful. What is the easiest way of bringing an idea to the
> attention of a package maintainer .... if he likes the idea I would then collect
> up & push what I have done, etc.
>
> I have looked at the URL below, but it does not give what I want:
>
>     https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Package_Maintainers?rd=PackageMaintainers
>

> The package that I am looking at today is dhcp. If you have more than one
> interface and need different parameters on each interface the current setup does
> not work - mine does and cleanly drops back to the current config.

In addition to all the other answers covering the right way to do
things, a couple of other options...

If you really want to *know who the maintainer is* - not just contact
'the maintainer' and wait for them to get back - you can check it at
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/ .
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/dhcp tells you the owner
is jpopelka.

That's the 'right way'. Or you can do the AdamW Patented Dumb Fast Way:

rpm -q --changelog dhcp-client | less

and see who makes the most commits to the package, then mail that
person. Even if they're not technically the package owner...they're
probably the person you want.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey