still UsrMove problems and wrong PATH in openssh

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Oct 31 16:45:17 UTC 2012

On 10/31/2012 11:47 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> it is REALLY bad make UsrMove and HRADCODE /bin:/sbin
> in PATH of openssh, this results in packages built
> with "rpmbuild" having Requires: /bin/perl as example
>
> in my opinion "rpmbuild" should know about the change
> and fix implicit Requires: /bin and Requires: /sbin

But they're not implicit. As I've said in the bug(s) already, rpm
doesn't invent paths, it generates dependencies based on the file
contents: if a script has #!/bin/perl through whatever means (ie
hardcoded or generated), /bin/perl is what you get as a dependency. And
rpm can't do the damnest thing about it: it doesn't know whether some
arbitrary path is intentional or not, it doesn't know what distro you're
actually building a package for, AND trying to "fix" paths with eg
realpath() would result in all sorts of other breakage: eg
/sbin/ldconfig is what glibc provides, not /usr/sbin/ldconfig.

As also said in one of the bugs: the simple solution is to fix your
build environment. You dont even need the openssh fix for that. Rpm
builds are only reproducible given identical environment, and there are
countless things that can differ between personal accounts on different
hosts, the best way to ensure sane build environment in Fedora-land is
to build the packages in mock.

	- Panu -