Rawhide boot problems

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Fri Sep 7 21:42:20 UTC 2012

On 09/07/2012 02:36 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 11:54:03AM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
>> Fedora 18 is basically closed for new feature work, and instead the
>> focus needs to be on integration of the existing feature set and
>> bugfixes.  But as you state there is a large amount of time before
>> F18 releases, which means new feature work would have to stall out
>> for months.  Instead, new feature work can begin for F19 and get
>> ahead of the game.  That's why F18 and F19 are divergent.  That's
>> why we went from a single line of development to two.
>
> This makes sense, but it runs directly against the current
> auto-inheritence behaviour. It's unsurprising that people end up with
> different opinions of the right thing to do here.

I'm of the opinion that rawhide should be inheriting from the builds of
the previous release, so long as there haven't been any builds directly
on rawhide.  I'm also of the opinion that the inheritance should happen
as early as possible, eg as soon as the package is built, instead of
waiting for a bodhi introduced delay.  Rawhide works this way, the
inheritance into rawhide should work this way too.

Getting there is a little complicated due to how the
fXX-updates-candidate -> fXX-updates-testing -> fXX tag dance works, but
I'm confident smart people can figure that out if change is desired here.

--
Help me fight child abuse: http://tinyurl.com/jlkcourage

- jlk